Ruby Allure's Books

Ruby Allure's Books
Ruby Allure's Books

Wednesday 23 March 2016

What Happens When You Reach Your Goals?




What do you do when you reach your goal? Do you dance? Do you celebrate? Or do you do what most people do - and set another goal? What is the point of setting yourself a challenge unless you get some satisfaction from it? It is funny that I write this now because I was recently having a discussion about this subject. Many of my friends who are athletes feel lost without a goal or a challenge. They say that when they have a goal / event they will push themselves beyond their comfort zone and go on a journey to better themselves. In some cases they are able to reach their true limits and see what they are truly capable of.


With regards to the goals you need to have a reason or a motivation - it becomes your why. When I have competed at rowing my why used to be the medal and the unity of a team. That amazing feeling of crossing the line and winning. Now, and this may be maturity, my rowing has taken on a completely new form. The love for rowing and my new 'why' in rowing is precision in stroke and mastering unity within a team. I don't actually care about the win because we have won and had the small moments of elation. That elation was short lived and resulted in the next goal or race; whereas now the rowing enables concentrated focus with sustained feelings of elation. What is even more satisfying is  rowing at your best ability for a continued time period. Maybe this is another goal or a form of goal, yet what do you do when you have reached all your goals? Is life a continual chase of goal acquisition or could you be without a goal? Does being goal-less become the goal in itself?

Success is a strange phenomenon. We are fed so many messages to go out there and achieve. To set huge goals of money, experience, career or beauty. Yet maybe it is more about the journey and who we become through our challenges. Maybe that is where we need to focus rather than goal after goal after goal. After all, doesn't life happen between goals?  Why are people so scared of not chasing something to be better?

So my question still remains: What happens when you reach your goals? What do you do when you have achieved all that you have ever wanted to achieve? Is this the time where you find satisfaction in existence and just be? Is that why goals have been so important? Is it the fear of essentially just being and existing?

You can find my books at the following link: Ruby Allure books on Audible:
AUDIBLE BOOK AVAILABLE HERE:
 
LINK TO BUY ON AUDIBLE:
 
LINK TO PAPERBACK ON AMAZON.COM
A Short Course in Creative Writing
by Ms Ruby Allure
Link: http://amzn.com/1517234832


THE LINK TO THE OCEAN CALLINGS: http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Ocean-Callings-Audiobook/B01C4OOOEW/

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much a sayings person....
    "What you get by achieving your goals is not
    as important as what you become by achieving
    your goals"
    (There are many more of course).

    I have to confess, no secret either, the only goal
    l've ever wanted to achieve, is the goal in a game
    of football..!
    Many..Many...Years ago l was medically diagnosed
    ...Different...Special...Unique...No word of a lie.
    It's nothing l wanted to achieve...it just happened.
    I found, ALL through my life, things fell into place,
    l never..ever...said, or thought..I'm going for that,
    l'm gonna try and get that! It just happened, and,
    can l say...HeHe! Through my charm and personality!!!
    As a Sicilian of course l was raise with three words..
    Respect..Honour..Love! Always in that order. And, as
    a single parent for 14yrs l raised my daughter in the
    same way..!
    And, what happens if you reach 'your' so called goal.
    Look for another, worry that there nothing else..NO!
    I could'nt live that way of life, that is sad.
    Take things in ones stride, let life come onto you,
    embrace it, join it, but, most of all Respect it....!

    Many years ago l was told my Blood Group....
    'Be Positive'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Willie I really enjoyed the penguin film. I have been to Antarctica twice and found penguins hilarious - that is why I publish my pictures of them.

    I hear what you are saying about how life almost leads you to experience even if we have the impression that we go get it. Something within us causes us to want to experience/ achieve that goal. However it really is more about what we become by taking the journey - hence Joseph Campbell came up with the writer's journey and the monomyth. That is why we identify with stories...

    Anyway thank you again for taking time to comment. I certainly enjoy reading your perspectives... I look forward to hearing more:)

    ReplyDelete