Ruby Allure's Books

Ruby Allure's Books
Ruby Allure's Books

Sunday 15 November 2015

If it is Free then...

Why give it away for Free?

If you give something for free then why would someone want to pay for that same item at another time?

Image result for free
So I have been have a little think about 'Free' and how so many people offer their services for free or give things away for free. In some instances, take work/career for example, you can demonstrate your skills and an employer will then hopefully invest in you and take you on. The thing is this is never guaranteed. Also a person's time has value. So why should a person work for free initially? I have watched 'work experience' people get the shock of their working life when they came and tried out at my company. I won't go into details but it is a high-paced working environment and for those who have had a relaxing time 'swanning around on the lilo of life' it certainly is a week-intensive shock to the system.

Image result for free books

In terms of 'free samples', you don't know about a product and you might want to test it before you buy. There are many drinks and confectionary companies who have employed this technique to generate custom and in many cases it works. Yet I have been looking at the concept of 'free books' and how so many authors are now offering their books for free just so that they are read. One author released a free book in hope that her other ten books may appeal to the audience. The thing is once something is free then why would people want to pay for it?

Image result for free books
 
I will admit that in the past I have done a 'free book promo' on my kindle books. It was quite amazing how many opportunists were ready and waiting for the 'free stuff' to turn up. I was astounded how quickly the books were downloaded and how few people rated the work. I wondered whether the 'freebie hunters' simply had a library of free literary works that they never actually read.

So back to the concept of free. How do you feel about getting something for nothing? I generally feel quite smug. Yet how much do I want to give something for nothing - honestly - I resent it. I don't want to give my valuable time for no return in business so why should I do that with my books? I spend literally hours writing them, I do huge amounts of research - so after all of that - I give it away to someone who probably does not appreciate it... Hmmm. The thing is the more people get used to getting things for free then the more they expect more free things. What's more, free books are de-valuing those that are fully priced. So what can we do about this?
Image result for free books

With all the above in mind, I was researching the average author earnings the other day and that was started the issue with 'free'... You see most indie authors are lucky if they earn $500 / £350 per year from book sales - I know - I was shocked. Of all the authors, both indie and professional, only 10% made over $100K or £60K and 2.5% make over $250K £150K per year. The average professional author earns ... and wait for this - it is horrifying $3000 - $5000 dollars (Digital Book World Survey). So this then begs the question if the earnings are so low then why bother? Also why give that hard earned creation away for free? For me I write because it relaxes me, I love writing and I often write about what I want to learn about. So there is a sense of growth through creation for me. I love to craft words and find a great deal of pleasure laughing at my own jokes on screen. I know... A bit strange. Still I love it.
Image result for starving author

So I go through a period of literary growth and then I share. I write so that I can reach people, share knowledge and hopefully inspire others. I have a career so I am not reliant on writing. Yet there are so many chasing a dream of becoming the next J.K Rowling or Amanda Hocking. The thing is there are so many authors out there now who are not writing at a professional level and the quality is diminishing... Is bad quality justification enough for something to be given away for free? Obviously this is a complex discussion. How do people find out about books unless they have samples? How do they find out about authors unless they can test the work?
Image result for free books

Final question: if everyone gives everything away for free then how does a new way of exchange begin? What do you think about Free? What do you give away for free? What do you think about Free books? If you were really talented at something or are talented at something then are you willing to give it away for free?

RUBY ALLURE - A COUPLE OF VERY POPULAR BOOKS:)

AUDIBLE LINK FOR A SHORT COURSE IN CREATIVE WRITING: http://amzn.com/B01390THLK



21/08/15
 
"An Unexpected Gem"
***I was provided a copy of this audio book for the purpose of a review ***

With the required disclaimer out of the way, let me be brutally honest, I had not expected this little gem. In fact, I had expected my listening would be a bit rough and was fortified by it being less than 2 hours.

The synopsis says the author wrote the book as a takeaway from her evening classes on creative writing. My mental context was ... Community Ed evening classes ...and expected a well intended but kind of amateur product. However, I am interested in adult education, and batter my own nerd head against a giant personal creativity brick wall.

So you have an idea of my mind set... low expectations along with high interest.

Amateur hour it was NOT.

I don't know where the author teaches her class, but Sign Me Up! And bring the narrator. Wow. Two hours of unadulterated, straight up, right on, good learning material delivered by a close friend just sharing the material. The narrator's voice was warm, sincere without any artifact or pompous patronising, and well modulated throughout. The material was mind opening for me, with the right mix of the mechanics of writing exercises, sufficient context that using prompts now makes sense to me, and a sprinkling of the inner heart work of creativity through written material.

This was just what I didn't dare hope for in a how to creative writing listen.

Truly an unexpected gem and a learning and growing experience for me.

A keeper and one I will return to many times as I deconstruct my own wall, one block at a time.

Thank You, Ruby and Thank You, Erin.
 Money Farm
TO BUY MONEY FARM ON AMAZON.com http://amzn.com/B010F04W9O
· Frode
06/08/15
5 STAR
"M.O.N.E.Y. is bad? This book is not!"
So Money Farm by Ruby Allure was a surprise! When I REALLY did not read things about this book I review for Audiobook Blast, I sometimes get books I don't know something about. BTW: I read 99% about the books I want to review, but this book I can't remember I did that for. Anyways: This was a nice surprise, and I think it is one of those books that is better the second time you read it. No joke! I listen to this twice before I made this! Money Farm makes you thin, and who does not like to hear a book that makes you think? It is an awesome book, that I will recommend to all that likes audiobooks, and really to people that does not!

Helen Lloyd English accent its the topic like a glow and a hand! Her "lady like" voice is so cold, and clear I feel that the author made this book thinking that Helen Lloyd would read it out loud! That is how I feel those two fits together! The 2 times 14 hrs and 6 mins I spend with her never feels boring or uninteresting! I would love to spend it again, and I will because this book I will hear again, and again, even when it is 14 hrs and 6 mins long! That is saying something!

I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast dot com
MONEY FARM
What did you like most about Money Farm?
It was an eye opener.
 
What did you like best about this story?
I like the way it made you think about the way normal everyday life is here and now, and the future...
 
Have you listened to any of Helen Lloyd’s other performances? How does this one compare?
Helen Lloyd narrated this fairly long audiobook brilliantly. Although the story content was very intense and thought provoking, her lovely smooth voice was very easy to listen to and I thought it was just perfect, a fascinating book wonderfully narrated.
 
Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?
Yes it was, although it is too long to do so.Image result for if you give something for free

No comments:

Post a Comment